Growing Up

     When I was not too much younger than I am now - just a couple of years - I used to silently roll my eyes at my mom as she was taking hundreds of paint samples around with her and viewing them in every conceiveable light and season as she was picking out siding and trim for her new house.  And I used to give dirty glances at the couple that was standing in the lighting section at Menards or Home Depot discussing endlessly exctly which outdoor lights they are going to put on their home.
     Well, I have to admit that I was faced with that exact same situation last night at Menards, and I would like to think that I did pretty well as compared with some.  I was momentarily stunned by the giant wall of outdoor light fixtures that stood before me and I immediately thought to myself "Holy shit how I am I supposed to pick one from all these."  But I was quickly able to discard many as options because they were not the right type or they were way over the top gaudy to me.  After some quick discussion, and a question to the clerk (the pair I really liked the most were on sale but were a closeout and only available in white I was told, and I did not want white light fixtures on my brown on brown house) we walked out with ones that we were able to agree on.  Nice and easy as far as the fixtures go.  And Traci was able to settle on a paint color for the basement without having to lug around samples for a year, so I am really proud of her.
     On Saturday, I am going to attempt to install said light fixtures, as long as I have figured out which breakers are which (the box is brand new but not labeled).  I know how electricity works, and I know that I can just turn off the switch and I won't get zapped, but quite honestly I am scared to death to work on anything electrical.  When everything you touch turns to shit, you very easily envision yourself lying on the ground convulsing with a wire in your hand.  So the breakers will have to be off.  Besides, they need to be labeled anyway, right?  So look for that this weekend.  And be careful at the home improvement store: it might get you.

No comments:

Post a Comment